Self-Paced Online Course: Remedies
Study Hours: 18
Injunctions often block the sale of products in an entire market. Patent licensing, trademark and copyright disputes are just some examples of areas where business leaders find themselves involved in lawsuits. An understanding of the various remedies available from courts is essential for business executives and anyone involved in a legal dispute. In this module, the student learns the various remedies that can be awarded by the U.S. courts. Legal and equitable remedies are explained. Remedies covered include compensatory damages, punitive damages, injunctions, restraining orders and restitution for unjust enrichment. The materials provide common defenses available in law and equity.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Appreciate how the U.S. courts are able to award a variety of remedies including damages (money), injunctions, declaratory judgments, and restitution.
- Understand the powers of the judge and courts in the US to sanction individuals for contempt.
- Estimate damages that could be awarded by a court.
- Determine the situations where an injunction could be issued by a court.
- List the defenses that could be mounted against an injunction or equitable remedy.
The course is organized into the following sections:
- Remedies: Remedies Available from U.S. Courts
- Remedies: Injunctions
- Remedies: Damages
- Remedies: Declaratory Judgments
- Remedies: Restitution & Other Remedies
- Remedies: Patents & International Trade Commission
- Remedies: Contempt
- Remedies: Equity Defenses
- Remedies: Remedies for Certain Actions